May 12, 2012

Lemony Mushrooms and Wilted Kale

Everyone seems to have a food boner for kale.  Kale chips, salads, smoothies, you name it someone has tried to sneak it in.  I get it, it is a SUPER FOOD (that also fights crime).  Its trendiness has kept me away, until I got an email from my mother asking me if I had tried it.  Alright, mom, I'll eat my vegetables!


I first sauteed mushrooms and garlic in a little olive oil.  I used the combo of lemon, crushed red pepper flakes, and dijon mustard to flavor the dish, then added a little chicken stock to help wilt the kale.  I found a box of pine nuts in the back of the spice cabinet, so I toasted them in a dry pan and topped the dish with it for a nutty crunch.  


Tangy and just slightly bitter, an exciting way to get your vitamins!  Super Kale to the rescue!

Lemony Mushrooms and Wilted Kale
8 oz of mushrooms, destemmed and sliced thinly
palmful of crush red pepper flakes
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup chicken stock
1 bunch of kale, stems removed
salt and pepper to taste.
2 tablespoons toasted pinenuts

Begin by sauteing the mushrooms with the palmful of crushed red pepper flakes in olive oil.  Do not season with salt until the mushrooms begin to brown, about 5-8 minutes on medium high heat.


Add the minced garlic and saute for another minute or two.  Add the lemon zest, juice, dijon mustard, and chicken stock and let it start to bubble.


Add the kale, cut in bite sized pieces, to the pan and toss until it begins to wilt.


Serve and top with the toasted pinenuts (dry pan on medium heat, toss regularly).  Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Oh - am I ever saving this. We do eat a lot of kale and am always on the lookout for a new way to jazz it up. Kale chips? Not so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...