June 13, 2012

Pineapple Habanero Curd

I have cried one time in my kitchen due to a failed dish.  Like full stop, crocodile, cannot be consoled tears.  The formidable foe?  Pineapple curd.  I thought I could just use the Ina method, where I mix everything in the food processor and then heat over the stove.  Nope nope nope, the thing curdled and I broke down.  It took me a year to gain the courage to attempt the damn thing again.


So after much research, I learned that corn starch is the secret ingredient in pineapple curd.  FIVE whole tablespoons to 6 egg yolks stabilizes the curd and gives it the distinct velvety curd texture.  I love the combination of sweet and spicy with pineapples so I decided to spice it up a little with habaneros, (without the ribs and seeds, wimp).  With my food processor, I blended the peppers into one can of pineapple juice.  Gloves are suggested, but I just used the bag I got the peppers in to hold the habanero, cut out the ribs and seeds with a paring knife, and thoroughly washed my hands before touching anything else.


The end result is an addictive and versatile curd that I enjoyed throughout the week on a graham cracker with a little ricotta, plain on toast, and injected into a coconut cupcake that I brought to a barbecue.  And look, no tears!


Pineapple Habanero Curd
3 6oz cans of pineapple juice, divided (about 2 1/4 cups juice)
2 habaneros, no seeds or ribs
6 egg yolks
5 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cups sugar

Begin by pulsing 1 can of pineapple juice and habaneros in a food processor or a blender until thoroughly combined.  Pour out into a large bowl and add the rest of the juice.


Begin the curd by thoroughly whisking the egg yolks and sugar together in a medium saucepan until slightly lighter in color.  Add the cornstarch one tablespoon at a time, whisking thoroughly.


Add the peppered pineapple juice to the egg yolk mixture and whisk over low heat for two 3 minutes, while increasing the heat slowly to medium.  Whisk for another 5-7 minutes until the mixture has thickened.  Remove from the heat and continue to whisk for another 5 minutes or so.


To store, I used a small bowl and a layer or saran wrap to avoid a skin forming on the surface.  Toast, graham crackers, cupcakes, or straight from the bowl, it is a delicious triumph!  Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. I like that habanero peeping there in sweet curd. Love the combo of chili in anything.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...