April 02, 2012

Homemade Mayonnaise

I feel like normal people don't go to "hey, I should make mayo" when they have leftover egg yolks.  But after the meringue cookie experiments I had some leftover and mayo was on my culinary to-do list.  I pulled out my copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking and got to blending!


I'm in the camp of if it can be done with a food processor, I'm going to use it.  In this instance, I really wish I had a stand mixer.  It would have made buzzing up the yolks and drizzling the olive oil easier.  But no matter, still got a great product.


The whole thing came together in a matter of minute.  First blitzing the egg yolks, adding the flavorings, then adding the oil slowly until a thick mayo comes together.  It's a great blank canvas for any mayo, which I'm still trying to figure out since one person cannot reasonably go through one 3 cups of mayo in a week... suggestions welcome!





Mayonnaise
3 egg yolks
5 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon lemon zest (or vinegar)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
2 cups of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tablespoon honey (optional)
pepper to taste

Pulse the egg yolks together until they are thick and have lightened in color


Add the lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper, and lemon zest, pulse.  Stream in the olive oil slowly through the chute, only a few drops at a time during the first 1/4 cup.  Use anywhere from 1 1/2 cup to 2 1/4 cup . . . I ended up with 2 cups!


Taste and season with salt and pepper.  I added a little squirt of honey to balance the tang of the lemon. Delicious and no preservatives!

3 comments:

  1. It looks delicious. It is hard to make recommendations for the use of homemade mayo. Its structure is unlike the commercial product, so I'm not sure it will work in some of the things I'd like to suggest. There is a chocolate cake that is made with mayonnaise that you might want to try. Have a great day.Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why have I never made home made mayo? Seriously...I can't imagine, but may I just say I am so envious of your copy of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly what i thought once I tried it!

      And it's definitely a great book, love to look though it. While I got it as a gift, it was on my to-buy list before! Definitely recommend.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...