March 23, 2012

Green Beans with Shallots

Have you ever had pollo a la brasa?  It's ridiculously amazing peruvian chicken smothered in spices and roasted on spits over charcoal in these crazy ovens.  My favorite is this place Sardi's in College Park, their 10% student discount Tuesdays is the only reason why I have kept my student ID from UMD.  They have amazing sides as well, from yucca fries and plantains to peruvian corn and these amazing green beans with onions and LOTS of black pepper.  Since I'm a bike-only person, my life has been sadly bereft of all of these amazing dishes.  So, I thought I would try to replicate the green beans at home...


To outstanding results!  I used a combination of butter (that I made) and saved bacon fat to first saute thinly sliced shallots then added the green beans and fresh cracked pepper.  Just five simple ingredients come together to make such an amazing side dish, enough to tide me over until my next trip to College Park!



Green Beans with Shallots
1 shallot
1 12oz bag of green beans (precleaned, love it)
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon bacon fat
salt and pepper to season

Melt the butter and bacon fat together over medium heat in a large saute pan.


Slice up the shallots into long thin strips.  Add to the pan and season with salt and pepper.


Cook until the shallots begin to brown and add the green beans.


Cook on medium until the green beans are bendy but not completely soft, about 6-8 minutes.  Finish with freshly ground pepper and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,your beans look delicious. This is my first visit to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...