March 01, 2012

Garam Masala Roasted Potatoes

I have been thinking about making chana masala for a while now, an Indian chickpea dish with lots of spices.  One of the ingredients, garam masala, has been ridiculously hard to find in DC so I had to put it off.  When I finally got my hands on a bottle, I had no idea what to do with it!  So, I decided to use the spice mixture on a neutral vegetable like potatoes and roast it in the oven.  This way, I could become familiar with the spice mixture and see how it was supposed to taste both cooked and uncooked.


Garam masala is a warm, not hot, spice blend typically containing peppercorns, cloves, mase, cumin, cardamon pods, nutmeg, coriander, and star anise.  The spices are toasted and ground into the "masala" or mixture.  I really got the warmth from the spice blend after roasting the potatoes and I can't wait to try it in other dishes!




Garam Masala Roasted Potatoes
2 1-pound russet potatoes
2 teaspoons garam masala
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400.  Cut the potatoes in even pieces for roasting and spread on a foil wrapped baking sheet.


Top with salt, pepper, and the garam masala.  Combine thoroughly until all of the potato pieces are coated.


Add the oil, repeat.


Bake for 35-40 minutes at 400, stirring after 15 and 30 minutes to prevent burning.


The result is a great, quick potato side dish with a soothing warm flavor.  My entire kitchen (apartment, let's be honest) smelled of the fragrant mixture, building my excited to try the mixture in new dishes.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...