July 31, 2011

Zucchini Fritters

Caught in the nostalgia of Zucchini Bread, I ended up with two extra cups of shredded zucchini.  The shape and texture reminded me of the packaged shredded potato for homefries, which got my wheels turning from homefries to latkes to fritters!  Zucchini fritters!




Zucchini Fritters
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/4 red onion, finely sliced
1 egg beaten
1/4 cup flour
1 tsp cilantro, chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Beat egg, cilantro, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

Add the zucchini and onion and coat in the egg mixture.  Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and gently combine.  If the dough is too wet, add flour 1 tbsp at a time.  My batter was a little wet so I added 2 tbps of extra flour.  Let the batter rest for 30 minutes in the fridge before frying.

Fritter Batter
Heat a saute pan to medium high heat and spray lightly with a cooking spray.  Dole out the batter evenly with a tablespoon, flatten slightly with the spoon, and cook approximately 2-3 minutes per side.

Zucchini Patties
It is important to do a test patty before frying up the entire batch to ensure correct seasoning.  I love garlic powder and added a little extra punch after my test plus a little more salt and pepper, but it's all up to your taste.

For a garnish, I mixed 1/4 cup of sour cream with a dash of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp of leftover cilantro, and a little pepper.  These fritters are a great summer side dish to use up local zucchini!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...