July 24, 2011

Roasted Garlic

I’m a garlic lover, it’s no secret.  When a recipe will call for one or two cloves, I want to throw the whole darn head in the pot.   Roasted garlic is just that: and entire head of garlic roasted until it takes on a creamy texture and a subtly sweet taste.



Roasted Garlic
1 head of garlic, tight paper around the head recommended
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Aluminum foil

Preheat the oven to 400 F

First, you will need to cut off of the top of the head.  If you wish to avoid any trips to the emergency room, you need a VERY SHARP KNIFE.  Hold the head stably on its side and slice off just enough to expose the cloves:


I like to roast the garlic in a foil pouch; I’ve tried the terra cotta holders but they don’t add any extra flavor in my opinion.  Basically, I rip off a square big enough to wrap a typical dinner plate, fold it in half, and then make a pouch around the head.  Then I will add the oil, salt and pepper and close up the pouch. 

Depending on the size of the garlic, it should take anywhere between 50 minutes to 1 hour to roasted the garlic.  You can tell it’s done by both the color and the ability of the cloves to easily slide out of their paper.  While a patient person would wait until the garlic is cool enough to retrieve, I will use a pair of tongs to squeeze every bit of gorgeous garlicky goodness while its still blindingly hot.  Because I love it that much.

It is perfect for raw sauces, adding to mashed potatoes, as a base for white pizza, and so many others.  Frankly, I could eat it plain on toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...